Ms Candice Morkel is an accomplished Monitoring, Evaluation and public policy specialist with over 18 years’ experience in the public and non-profit sectors. Candice has an Mphil in Confilct and Conflict Management (cum laude) from the Nelson Mandela Metropolitan University, a postgraduate qualification in M&E Methods from Stellenbosch University, and is currently reading for her PhD in Public Management and Leadership.
Candice specialises in policy research and effective performance reporting, having specialised in providing government leaders with insightful reviews on public sector performance at National and provincial levels. Her skills in monitoring, evaluation, research and learning allow her to do the following:
- Research and Research Management
- Policy analysis and evaluation
- Strategic and Operational Planning
- Evaluation and evaluation management
- Development of Theories of Change and Logic Modelling, indicator development, designing monitoring tools, development of M&E plans
- Process facilitation
- Designing and facilitating Learning and Capacity Building Programmes, across disciplines (e.g. M&E, HR and Leadership development, LED, Conflict Management)
Candice’s previous work/projects includes:
- Review of the Human Resources and Institutional Arrangements for the Review of the 1997 White
- Paper on Social Welfare – National Department of Social Development
- Designing learning content in partnership with the NMMU for Capacity Building for Local Economic
- Development Short Learning Programme
- 10 Year Review of the South African Monitoring and Evaluation Association
- Candice has authored a number of public sector policy and performance reports, including the review of the
- White Paper on Social Welfare (1997) for the National Department of Social Development.
- Ms Morkel served in the public sector for seven years at senior management level including as Chief Director: Monitoring and Evaluation in the Eastern Cape Provincial Administration (Office of the Premier) from 2012-2015.
As a leader in the field of public policy and M&E, Ms Morkel served as Chair of the internationally recognised South African Monitoring and Evaluation Association (SAMEA) from 2008-2010. She has also written a case study on M&E published in 2015 by Stellenbosch University as part of a book entitled: Evaluation Management in South Africa (editors Cloete, F, de Coning, C and Rabie, B.). She has presented papers, been a panellist and chaired a number of conference panels on development and M&E in South Africa.