Client: Department of Provincial and Local Government
The Department of Local Government commissioned this Urban Renewal Anchor Project Case Study Document to build on the Lessons Learnt Study and shares experiences on the implementation of selected anchor projects in township nodes across South Africa. This study provides detailed information on systems and approaches that can be used as a resource by other municipalities which experience similar challenges relating to township development. Key experiences and lessons learnt from the five selected Anchor project case studies (which were Alexandra; Galeshewe; Mdantsane; Mitchells Plain Town Centre; Khayelitsha CBD; KwaMashu Town Centre: Inanda, Ntuzuma and KwaMashu; and Bridge City KZN) were identified in the following themes:
• Crowding in public investment and public services.
• Attracting and securing private investment.
• Creating quality public space and local services.
• Mobilising and developing social and human capital .
• Broadening economic ownership.
• Integrated Planning and Budgeting.
The case study report is available online at: SA Cities Network
A presentation delivered by Rae on Township Centre Challenges and Strategies was delivered to the he Training for Township Renewal Initiative and is available online at : Treasury.gov